Calendars , home

August 8, 2006


Thanks to all for the kind words. I am at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla, by the way. We are still working out the technical details of getting internet connectivity here at the hospital, so there is quite a lag between me sending an email and getting responses and replying. As we get the internet infrastructure set up that we need, I will be able to do more, faster. The last two days have been at once very busy and very boring. Monday I was not allowed to eat or drink anything, and I was in Intensive care. The nurses had been real nice and had been slipping me a few ice chips occasionally. One of them gave me some lemon flavored swabs that immediately set off a session of dry heaves. Not much fun when you have abdominal pain. I convinced the Doc there that he should let me have ice chips and I eventually prevailed. He let me have as much as I wanted. That helped out a lot. By the end of the day, I was being transferred back to the bone marrow transplant unit (BMTU), where sleeping is much easier. I was still not allowed to get out of bed. Shortly after arriving in the BMTU they removed the Foley catheter, which is used to collect urine. I could then walk to the bathroom as long as a nurse was present.

I slept pretty good last night. This morning my next goal was getting my freedom to walk around on my own. They quickly started letting me get up by myself, because I had demonstrated that I could easily do that a couple of times. Just before lunch I got a Bone Marrow Biopsy. It wasn't too painful this time. Might be the morphine they gave me. Shortly after that, before lunch, they put me on the "BRAT" diet. That stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Pretty exciting, but better than nothing! They didn't give me banana for lunch, so I guess it was a RAT diet. I could only stomach the applesauce. For dinner they gave me babyfood bananas. I hope none of you mothers out there with infants stay away from that. It doesn't taste very good. I put some applesauce on the rice and sugared it and that made the rice edible. Other than that, we have been busy setting up disability, and putting our work affairs in order, with pretty good success.

Visiting. I can take visitors just about any time, say 8 am to 8 pm. Nobody is allowed on the floor if they have as much as a hint of a sore throat or cold. I cannot have any fresh fruit or flowers in my room. If you want to visit, I recommend that you call the hospital first and ask for BMTU, then ask for me. If I am not having any procedures, I would probably be fine with visitors. Just keep in mind that as Chemo progresses, I will be getting progressively weaker. I am pretty weak right now, but expect to get stronger as my infection related side effects continue to heal. The point is, I may not be able to spend a whole lot of time with visitors due to fatigue.

On the medical front, they figured out that I had an e-coli infection in my blood and possibly in my colon, so they quit giving me broad spectrum antibiotics. We need to wait for the results of the bone marrow biopsy before we can determine the actual course of treatment. That will take a couple of days. I will probably start chemo some time Friday.

That's about it for now.


Calendars , home